|1998||LLB, Keio University, Law Faculty|
|1999||Entered the Legal Research and Training Institute (53rd graduating class)|
|2000||Admitted to the bar (Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association)
Joined Abe, Ikubo & Katayama
|2004||Councilor's Office on System Reform, General Affairs Division, General Affairs Department, Japan Patent Office under the Law Concerning the Recruitment of Local Public Entities' Employees with a Fixed Term in Regular Service|
|2005||Resumed work at Abe, Ikubo & Katayama|
Main Areas of Practice
Naho Ebata advises both Japanese and international clients on a variety of corporate and intellectual property matters.
In the area of intellectual property, she advises on a range of intellectual property rights such as patents, trademarks, designs and copyrights, and unfair competition issues. Naho has extensive experience in Japanese patent litigation in a diverse range of industry sectors including life science and technology, and in anti-counterfeiting measures such as customs seizure. She also provides legal opinions and advises on license agreements. Naho has spent one year on secondment to the Japan Patent Office where she involved in the amendment of the trademark law.
In the field of general corporate practice, Naho's broad practice covers mergers and acquisitions, product safety, regulation, personal information, business contracts, disputes and negotiations. She has particular expertise acting for clients in life science, IT and consumer product sectors. Naho was seconded to a world-leading multinational mobile phone producer, where she gained a valuable insight into how best to provide good legal service.
In the area of corporate turnaround, she acted as a deputy trustee for Japan Airlines and was in charge of legal issues in foreign countries. She also handled various rehabilitation matters.
During her stay in the UK for three years, she visited a London based solicitors firm Bristows LLP weekly and assisted the firm's Unified Patent Court (UPC) website.
Naho intends to provide clients balanced, useful and commercial advice by fully understanding clients' businesses and needs.
- Japan's Unique Combination of Experts and Advisors" Managing Intellectual Property (21 November 2016)
- "Ichitaro Case" Jurist No.1575 (January 2015)
- "For Improvement of Attractiveness and Presence of Japanese IP Dispute Resolution System" Institute of Intellectual Property (IIP) Forum Vol.98 (August 2014)
- "Selection of IP Court Decisions for Practice" (Co-author) Special Number of Jurists (April 2014)
- "Establishment of Regional Brands and Regional Collective Trademarks" Houritsuno Hiroba Vol.66 No.10 (October 2013)
- "From Sound Logo To New Trademarks" "For the Development of a Country Built on IP" Japan Institute for Promotion of Invention and Innovation (September 2013)
- "Possibility of Protection of GI by Certificate Mark System (by comparison with regional collective trademark)" Institute of Intellectual Property (IIP) Forum Vol.86 (August 2011)
- "New – Commentary to Patent Law" (Co-author) Seirin Shoin (April, 2011)
- "Recent Movements and Remaining Issues of the Trademark System in Japan" Patent Studies No.51 (March, 2011)
- "Japanese Patent Litigation, 2009 ed. " (Co-author) West (2009)
- "Trademark Practice – From Branding Strategy to Enforcement-" (Co-author) Minjiho Kenkyukai (2009)
- "Litigations for Cancellation of Trial Decisions" (Co-author) Minjiho Kenkyukai (2007)
- "Distinctiveness of 3-D Trademarks" Law&Technology (April 2009)
- "Amendment of Patent Specification and Change of Gist" AIPPI Journal of the Japanese Group Vol.53 No.9 (September 2008)
- "Use Invention - with a focus on medical-related actions –" (co-author of Chapter IV "Patent Protection of Medical Methods and Drugs in Japan, Europe and the United States") (Institute of Intellectual Property Edition)
- "Possibility to Deal with the Problem of Research Tool Patents by Compulsory License" Jurist No.1321 (October 15, 2006)
- "Case Introduction - A case in which the court denied that a trademark "Miura Hayama Gyu", which consists of a name of place ("Miura Hayama") and a word meaning beef ("Gyu"), has acquired distinctiveness through use thereof" Patent Studies No.42 (September 2006)
- "Cross Border Infringement of Intellectual Properties" Institute of Intellectual Property (IIP) Forum Vol.66 (August 2006)
- "Sound Marks and Phonetic Use of Trademarks" Intellectual Property Management (April 2006)
- "EPO Decision (T 1020/03) on Drug Administration Invention" A.I.P.P.I. (March 2006)
- "Outline of the Law Partially Amending the Trademark Law" Law & Technology (July 2005)